A normal morning sickness involves the pregnant woman to feel nauseous and makes her vomit which results in a feeling of extreme tiredness. Although rarely dangerous it is an extremely uncomfortable and an unpleasant feeling. Women undergoing hormonal contraception or hormone replacement therapy may also experience symptoms that are similar to morning sickness through natural conception. It is a common phenomenon and not at all harmful for the baby. In fact, studies have shown that morning sickness is a sign of a healthy course of pregnancy. Despite its name, it can occur during any time of the day, for some even in the middle of the night. It mostly happens during the first trimester or the sixth week and peaks by the ninth week. The signs vanish between sixteenth to the eighteenth week. Pregnancy Calculator or Pregnancy Due Date Calculator can help you in figuring out the same but you should also consult your doctor.Experts believe that this is caused due to the following reasons:
- Increased levels of estrogen production in the woman’s body
- High levels of progesterone relax the uterus as well as the stomach and intestines, resulting in the production of excessive stomach acids or gastroesophageal reflux disease
- An increased sense of smell during pregnancy happens to trigger nausea
What’s not normal about this occurrence is, when this becomes too severe. If the pregnant woman has continuous bouts of vomiting it will result in weight loss and a possible risk of dehydration. This rare condition is known as hyperemesis gravidarum, literally meaning ‘excessive vomiting during pregnancy. After using Pregnancy Calculator consult a gynecologist if you experience the following symptoms:
- When only a small amount of urine is passed.
- When the color of the urine is dark
- When you feel dizzy while standing up
- Experiencing a faint feeling
- If you are vomiting some blood
- Unable to keep liquids down
- About Hyperemesis Gravidarum
This condition develops in almost one to two percent of all pregnancies. It is mostly experienced by the first time, to be mothers. For some women, it goes away in a few weeks time, but for some women, it persists till the whole pregnancy period. Lots of rest and a proper diet meal plan helps in regulating morning sickness.
Some of the symptoms in this case include:
A dangerous drop in the normal acidity levels in the blood, also known as alkalosis
- Lowered levels of potassium in the blood, known as hypokalemia
- Symptoms of dehydration and weight loss
Gynecologists suggest that women experiencing these severe symptoms should immediately seek medical help. In some cases, they might need to be hospitalized and intravenous fluids will be made necessary. Although the chances of your baby being harmed are less in this situation if you are not experiencing severe weight loss during this time as it increases the risk of giving birth to a baby with low birth weight.
The risk of developing this condition is higher in women who:
- Suffer from migraines
- Have vomited due to motion sickness
- Expecting more than one baby
- Had experienced morning sickness during the last pregnancies
If this rare pregnancy-related condition is left untreated, then it will cause an adverse effect on the mother’s health and also interfere with the baby’s ability to thrive.
Very little is known about the causes of extreme morning sickness, although gynecologists suggest that this condition is related to the direct hormonal changes experienced during pregnancy. A specific hormone called human chorionic gonadotropin is to be blamed. It is also classified among hereditary causes since it is more common in women who’s close family members like their sisters or mothers might have suffered from it.
Nausea and vomiting that occurs in a case of severe morning sickness are extremely harmful and can have a negative effect on the mother as well as the baby’s health. Since the woman will be unable to keep her food down, it will make it extremely difficult for her to meet all the nutritional needs that are required by her body and the baby. All this will result in a severe weight loss combined with a major loss in bodily fluids and loss of stomach acids due to constant vomiting. This will cause dehydration and heavy electrolyte imbalances. If proper care is disregarded then the pregnant woman might even suffer from organ failure and premature birth of the baby.
Common treatments include the consumption of bland food in the morning along with eating dry crackers. Medical treatment includes:
- The patient will not be fed from the mouth for a while in order to rest the gastrointestinal system.
- Usage of intravenous fluids (IV)
- Consumption of vitamins and nutritional supplements
- The affected woman will also be given medicines to make her stop vomiting, either by mouth or with the help of IV. The gynecologist will recommend you to eat food with a high content of ginger in it and increase your vitamin B6 consumption, in order to stop nausea.
When to contact a gynecologist?
If you are experiencing the following symptoms then it is advised to immediately seek some medical attention after using pregnancy calculator:
- Nausea that is experienced throughout the day and does not
- Vomiting three or four times in a single day.
- Severe loss of weight
- Extreme fatigue
- Decreased levels of urination
- Recurrent headaches
- A feeling of dizziness
- Body odor and a feeling of having a fruity mouth.
Gynecologists in Chennai
India is the upcoming superpower in the field of medicine and healthcare. The kind of technology and care that is offered here is unparalleled. Here are some of the most talented and successful gynecologists from Chennai who have achieved huge success in this area:
- Dr. Deepa Ganesh – An MBBS Obstetrics and a gynecologist in lifeline rigid hospital
- Dr. K.S. Jeyarani Kamaraj – A full-time gynecologist in Aakash fertility center and hospital.
- Dr. Akhila Sangeetha Bhat – An MS in obstetrics and gynecology in Cloudnine Hospital.
- Dr. Bhavna Mehta – A DGO MBBS in Aditya Hospital.f